|Architect||Skidmore, Owings & Merrill|
|Architectural Height||1,450 ft (442 m)|
|Total Floor||110, with 16Lifts|
|Floor area||4,477,800 sq ft (416,000 m sq)|
|Address||233 S Wacker Drive, Chicago, |
IL 60606, United States
|Opened||June 22, 1974|
|Cost||USD $150 million|
Willis Tower is 110 Story skyscraper in the United States at 233 S Wacker Drive, Chicago. It is designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill and their team of Colombian- Peruvian architect Bruce Graham and structural engineer Fazlur Rahman Khan. The construction started in 1970 and was completed in 1973. Willis Tower construction cost was USD $150 Million. It opened for people on June 22, 1974. Currently, it is owned by Blackstone Group.
More Facts about Willis Tower
- Its previous name was Sears Tower but on July 16, 2009, the building was officially renamed as Willis Tower.
- 2,000 construction workers took part in building Willis Tower.
- It has been the tallest building in the world from 1973 to 1998.
- Willis Tower is the 12th tallest building in the world and it is the second tallest building in North America.
- Willis Tower was purchased by Blackstone in 2015 for $1.3 billion.
- Wills tower has an observation deck, called the sky deck. It becomes a tourist attraction from June 22, 1974.
- Each year more than one million people visit the sky deck.
- Willis Tower has approximately 16,100 bronze-tinted windows and 76,000 tons of steel.
- The design of this building was inspired by an advertisement for a package of cigarettes.
- There are many broadcast station transmitters which are located at the top of the tower.
- The building has been shown in a number of movies and television shows which are set in Chicago.
- Skydeck opened in 1974 and attracts more than 1.7 million visitors annually and it is the highest observation deck in the United States.
- The Ledge is made of three layers of half-inch thick glass laminated into one seamless unit.
- The ledge is 1,353 feet and 103 stories up.